Saturday, August 25, 2012

A little more Summer

 We are still in the middle of crabbing season.  When we go out to check the pots we are always on the lookout for wildlife. Seals usually sun themselves in the afternoon but it's always fun to see them. This one looked right at us and no we were not this close... good ole close up lens.
 I tried something new. Zucchini chips in the dehydrator. They dry super quickly since their pulp is not dense (like apples) and consist of water. I salted them and put them in... I put a little too much salt on and they will probably be better in soup than eating as a chip. Will try again minus the salt.
 The Oak tree is getting much bigger. This is the only known baby from our parent tree that grew at 8809.  Remember that this all began with an acorn from Momma tree before she was cut down?
 I had Joe come out to join me to give you a little scale. I had a talk with it and told it "You're a big boy now and need your first haircut. You want to be a beautiful tree, not a bush. Then I cut off lower branches and trimmed off little sucker branches. Lastly I had to put it's cage back around it because the deer love to eat it, so a little Bobbex (nasty smelly deer repellant) will help insure a happy tree.
 I am a lazy farmer. I grew some plants inside from seed but never got the garden going. Just working too many places to get the job done. I finally put the starts in old buckets, canning kettles and planters out front. I love seeing my garden grow on my front steps.  I have been harvesting Zucchini and yellow beans. There are a couple of crook neck squash coming on.  It works for this year!
 Mo Mo. When I saw this picture I melted.  We will get to see Mo in early October. Grandma and Grandpa are very excited to get to play with Mo and visit with family.

No comments: