Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Fall Harvest

 The Harvest this year has been more varied than any other year. It has been fun to see trees that we have nursed along for ten years have their first yields.


The first photo has two Jonagold apples pictured. We got 8 total but they are so yummy they are disappearing. The other 3 apples are our harvest from our dwarf Kidd tree. It is a tiny tree that may be 5 years old now. Last year it had one apple. I think the deer got that one. This year we had lots of wire cages around the trees and it made a huge difference.
The Conference Pears are absolutely delicious. They are a later pear and not huge in size but big on flavor.
I wish I had taken pictures of the Gravenstein apples but I was too busy drying them in the dehydrator. We had our biggest yield yet for this reluctant tree, ( one box full). They are delicate flavor, lightly sweet. We will enjoy these through the winter.
No, I don't have a Banana tree but if you ask nicely at the grocery store you can get over ripe bananas for a reduced price. They make great chips, ice cream and banana bread. I also made plum leather from the plums behind the office.
Looking into my cupboard you will see dried Orcas pears, Red Clapper pears, apples and not pictured are  cherry tomatoes dried.
The Champion as always, are the Spartan Apples. We harvested 8 boxes of apples off of one tree. They are not very big but soooo tasty.  I like to think of them as a sleeping beauty apple. Shiny red after you polish it on your pants, crisp white flesh inside. Sweet and tart. Yum. So many to process and too little time! Yes, I will give some away and if I get lucky I might find someone who is pressing cider.

No comments: