Let me tell you a story. Our knitting group's fearless leader has a grandson named Jordan (16) who took a bad spill while snowboarding. He is now in the hospital, an incomplete quadriplegic, who will be coming home in 9 short days now. It has been over two months since the accident. The apartment that he will be living in with mom and twin brother is like a duplex attached to Barb's home. The heating system needed replacing because propane puts moisture into the air. The new system will run about $1,000. So we knitters got our heads together and decided we could sell felted hearts to fund the project. The entire remodel is running about 20K. So far we are over $1,500 and climbing. We just keep knitting and felting. It is great fun to see people all over the island wearing the felted hearts. So really, every spare moment feels like it is spent doing hearts. It is an amazing small thing that we can do and people have just latched on to giving and getting a small token for their generosity.
I imagine someday we may knit something else? But not yet.
I've done other things in the past two weeks, but this has been the thread that doesn't quit.
4 comments:
I shall be watching for a picture!
What a great idea for a fund raiser.
Will be praying for the family as God brings them to mind. And for all of you who have so sacrificially taken up this mantle of help.
How much are the felted heart pins?
I meant to send all "my girls" pins for Vday... I am a little late, so if you pick a color I will send it.
I should also say that if you feel you would like to send a check that is ok too. The need seems to have a bottomless pit... But heart by heart.....
Post a Comment