How many crabbing adventures can one season hold? Well, at least one more! Pictured are Emily, myself and Kailey (I know I spelled that wrong) and Rick at the helm. Emily is a friend from the Blaine Jazz Camp who came to stay for a week with Kailey and as usual, Joe was working. The light is quickly failing so we tried to make the most of it. Looks like we both had pictures on the brain. Never did get to eat any chips! But if I remember correctly, the girls ate their dinner on the way to the boat. It looks like I am going to spank the crab. Stunning is more to the point.I have perfected this technique. Place crab on bucket rim while holding both last legs in hand. Give two or three quick and forceful poundings on the shell. When the claws go limp, grab all legs and claws in 2 separate hands and pull downward at the same time. Awesome. Pick off the devil and shake out the ickies over the water. Throw the lid in the sea and save the rest. Makes picking the crabs later a clean snap. Angie is the queen of cleaning. She too was impressed with my new 2 at once plan. Rick is such a sport. Not one to enjoy eating crab...he knows they must be respected. Even in the stunned state they can pinch. So it is with great facial gestures that we do the deed. Picking the devil off. So Three crabs become... Six halves, ready to steam and enjoy.
This whole process still makes me cringe. There's something to be said for fighting the live ones into the steamer and listening to them tap out their final S-O-S's on the side of the pot.
I have been told this is more humane than steaming them live. I love hearing them plead and squirm in the pot, sick I know. But this is clean and less stinky remains to hang onto to "give back to the sea" next time out.
3 comments:
This whole process still makes me cringe. There's something to be said for fighting the live ones into the steamer and listening to them tap out their final S-O-S's on the side of the pot.
Brave. Very brave. I think I would leave the stunning to y'all!
I have been told this is more humane than steaming them live. I love hearing them plead and squirm in the pot, sick I know. But this is clean and less stinky remains to hang onto to "give back to the sea" next time out.
Post a Comment