Friday, August 21, 2009

Crabbing Adventures

First of all...This is the boy who would rather stay home and practice...especially if his little girl is nearby. Missy loves Joe.
Sad that our crabbing adventure is over???? NOT
This was the last trip that the intrepid sisters embarked on this season. They are great deck hands.
Angie had a feisty one... He wanted to take control of the ruler...
STOWAWAY!!!
What NOT to wear on your feet when you go crabbing!
Angie is lucky that crab isn't turned around and pinchin her tootsies. Big Crab in comparison to the sun star.
This was a fine specimen of a sun star. What great color.
You can see it's little feelers and the gelatinous mass in the center is their stomach that comes out and eats it's prey? Correct me if I'm wrong Robb.

6 comments:

Robb said...

I think your right, they first craw on top of what ever it is they are going to try to eat. Then, if I am not mistaken, they extrude the first stomach out through the whole in the middle of their underside. It engulfs the food, partially digests the food, then they suck the stomach and the partially digested food into their body. From there, the food travels to their secondary stomach for complete digestion. This is how seastars can "eat" food that is bigger then their mouths.
When exactly did Jenny and Angie start liking the crabbing. If I recall correctly, the last time we were up there neither of them were very interested in it...And Jenny was a vegetarian, so she really wanted nothing to do with them.

Lavishly Loved said...

Great shots of the kiddos.
Love the sun star as well.
Kids go back to school as well as all my teacher friends, this coming week. :(
When do Joe and Jen leave for school?
love ya!

old dog said...

Robb, I knew you would flesh out all the details for me. Maybe it's since you've been here that they started liking more and more. Angie is the expert handler of all crabbiness and taught me how to stun them and clean them at the dock. When Jen got back from Hawaii she wanted to get out on the water to crab before going back to school. Funny the things you squeeze in to make up for having missed a whole summer together.
Jenny's classes start Mon 8/24 and Joe doesn't go until around 9/14 from what we know. Glad I didn't lose them both at the same time!
Oh, and Robb... only Angie and I eat them. So we have lots of crab in the freezer for through the winter goodness, and we give lots away!

Barb Mowery said...

Psst! Keep your eye on the mailbox...

old dog said...

My eyes are glued...

Barb Mowery said...

I'm afraid that Joe's graduation gift might arrive after he's already left for school...keeping my fingers crossed it shows up tomorrow....