Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Work in Progress


Creative ideas come slowly to me most times.  This project is a fine example.  Years ago we found the wrought iron frame in the attic of the "shed". I cleaned it up, painted it and thought it would make a wonderful base for a bench on the front porch.  I never did see the wood or stone or whatever that would complete it.  I kept thinking and watching. 
We live in a very old house. We replaced a couple of upstairs bedroom windows in the girls rooms. It 's kind of nice not to have your windows blow open in wind storms.  So I had these "antique" windows floating around.  
It took a good year or more for me to realize I could build a cool collage table out of the two separate pieces.  I had Rick cut the plywood base, then the two inch "box" frame to give it some depth. He attached  the box to the iron frame and put a nice piano hinge on the back.  Then he invented the little stilts that keep it open while arranging.  
 Next step, I got to fill, sand, and paint. I need to do some more sanding and painting before it is ready.  It doesn't need to be perfect, but just a little more here and there.
I am anxious to fill it with treasures, but I want it to be exactly what I envisioned first.  
So, that is why I called it a Work in Progress.

2 comments:

Bernadette (Bunny) Weatherly said...

Nice Beast. It's wonderful. I just love the base and once you have your treasures out... it will become a real keeper. The key is to keep anything from covering the glass. Shame you don't have me for Christmas this year. Haaaaaaaaa.
Mom called me a royal pain in the ass tonight. I love it. She's still there.

Myles-Era Family said...

I can't wait to see it when it is finished!! Keep us posted!